In order for a will to be valid certain requirements must be met. Although wills do not need to be in any certain format, all wills must be in writing, signed by the testator (creator of the will), and attested by two or more competent witnesses. Once a will is created it does not take effect until the testator's death.
Power of Attorney
Power of Attorney is similar to a living will. Power of attorney allows you to named someone to make medical decisions on your behalf. If you become incapacitated, your power of attorney would decide to whether or not life sustaining measures should be used.
Durable Financial Power of Attorney
A financial power of attorney allows you to name one or more people, known as agents, to take care of your financial affairs. The person or persons chosen can have complete or limited power over your finances. Your financial power of attorney will remain in effect until your death, unless an end date is specified. However, your financial power of attorney can be revoked at any time.
State of Georgia Healthcare Directive
A healthcare directive can only be completed by a fully competent adult and will only go into effect if you cannot express your desires concerning your healthcare.
The Healthcare Directive in the State of Georgia is made up of four parts:
- Healthcare Agent - The person who you choose to make healthcare decisions for you when you cannot make them on your own.
- Treatment Preferences - Allows you to state your treatment preferences, which will become effective only if you are unable to communicate these preferences.
- Guardianship - The person you appoint as your guardian, should the need arise.
- Effectiveness and Signatures - A healthcare directive must be signed by you and two witnesses.
A living will is a document stating what to do in case you are unable to make decision on your healthcare. The following are considerations to make in a living will:
- Life-Prolonging Medical Care
- Do Not Resuscitate Orders
- Life-Prolonging Food and Water
- Pain Management
In order to create a living will the patient must be of sound mind.
Asset and Wealth Management
Common Areas of Interest: